PALESTINIAN GOVT. FILE GROUNDBREAKING COMPLAINT AGAINST ISRAEL, AT INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT. (26.07.2014)
Either Palestinian people have immediate access to Justice or they do not, and if they do not why is that ?
Our campaign will, no doubt like others, do everything we possibly can, to support the Palestinian people's groundbreaking complaint, against Israel, at the International Criminal Court (and beyond)
It should be noted that there is nothing actually preventing the International Criminal Court going to Gaza, right now, to see everything for themselves.
The two most important legal principles of a) universal jurisdiction and b) precedents, like Nuremberg, are active.
As we have previously pointed out, there was absolutely no reason to 'wait' for anything, including any spurious investigation by the U.N. before dumping the very obvious evidence of war crimes happening, now, at the door of the ICC.
The Israeli government, and indeed the 'European Council on Foreign Relations' cannot really be...'surprised', over what is very far from a token gesture, by any stretch of the imagination.
26.07.2014 PRESS TV: TWO SENIOR PALESTINIAN OFFICIALS HAVE FILED A COMPLAINT AGAINST ISRAEL AT THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT, AT THE HAGUE.
Palestinian Justice Minister Saleem al-Saqqa and Gaza court prosecutor Ismail Jabr have accused Israel of war crimes in the lawsuit.
The Israeli regime, under the ICC statutes, was accused of crime of apartheid, attacks against civilians, excessive loss of human life and crime of colonization.
The Palestinian officials started legal proceedings against the Israeli regime through a Paris-based lawyer over the past few days as the war on the Gaza Strip raged on.
French lawyer Gilles Devers has confirmed the move, saying the complaint covers war crimes committed by the Israeli military in Gaza in June and July 2014.
“Israel, the occupying power, is carrying out a military operation which in principle and form violates the basis of international law,” Devers told a press conference in Paris.
“Every day new crimes are committed and over 80 percent of the victims are civilians. Children, women, hospitals, UN schools... the Israeli soldiers respect nothing. This is a military attack against the Palestinian population,” Devers stated.
The complaint came as the Palestinian death toll from the Israeli aerial and ground assaults has passed 880, with more than 5,700 Gazans injured. While Israel confirms 37 Israelis have been killed in the war, Hamas sources put the number at about 90.
Israeli warplanes have been carrying out incessant airstrikes on Gaza since July 8. Thousands of Israeli soldiers launched a ground invasion into the densely-populated strip on July 17.
The UN says over 80 percent of the fatalities have been civilians, including more than 200 children.
A French lawyer said on Friday that he had filed a complaint on behalf of the Palestinian justice minister at the International Criminal Court (ICC), accusing Israel’s military of having carried out “war crimes” in the Gaza Strip.
More than 800 Palestinians have been killed in Israel’s offensive in Gaza, launched on July 8 in response to Hamas militants firing rockets into the Jewish state.
The complaint targets “war crimes committed by the Israeli army in June and July 2014 in Palestine” in the context of the operation known as Protective Edge, Gilles Devers told reporters.
“Israel, the occupying power, is carrying out a military operation which in principle and form violates the basis of international law,” he said. “Every day new crimes are committed and over 80 percent of the victims are civilians. Children, women, hospitals, UN schools... the Israeli soldiers respect nothing.
“This is a military attack against the Palestinian population.”
The Israeli offensive has left more than 5,200 Palestinians injured, according to emergency services in Gaza, and 33 Israeli soldiers and two civilians have died, too.
The Palestinian Authority, which has non-member observer state status at the United Nations, has not yet signed up to the Hague-based ICC, due to what Devers said were “political” quarrels over the Palestinians’ status.
But according to Devers, the complaint is still valid.
The UN Human Rights Council is launching a probe into Israel’s offensive in Gaza, with rights chief Navi Pillay saying the Jewish state’s military actions could amount to war crimes.
Palestinian Justice Minister Saleem Al-Saqqa and Ismail Jabr, the Gaza court public prosecutor, started legal proceedings via a Paris-based lawyer over the 18 days of fighting between Hamas fighters and Israeli ground forces that's left 800 Palestinians dead — including hundreds of civilians. Thirty seven Israelis have been killed, 35 of them soldiers.
The officials accuse Israel of war crimes, which, they say, under the ICC statutes includes "crime of apartheid," ''attacks against civilians," ''excessive loss of human life" and "crime of colonization."
If the legal complaint is accepted it could give the Palestinians the first realistic chance of bringing a war crimes case against Israel.
But that's not a given. To process the complaint, the Hague-based court must first rule if it has jurisdiction in the Palestinian Authority. The territory isn't a U.N. member but became an observer in 2012, a status the ICC chief prosecutor said was required for Palestinians to sign up to the court.
Some experts don't expect the ICC to recognize the Palestinian proceedings.
"This is more of a symbolic thing. I'd be surprised if The Hague accepts the complaint. I can't see the ICC summoning up the Israeli leaders for evidence," said Mattia Toaldo, policy fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations.
"(Palestinian) President (Mahmoud) Abbas gave assurances in 2012 to several countries that they would not use their UN status to go to the ICC," he added.
Paul Hirschson, a spokesman for the Israeli Foreign Ministry, was not aware of the move — filed early Friday morning — but said the Israeli forces have not broken the law.
"The complaint is something new that we will have to study," he said adding: "the Israeli military is working 100 percent within the dictates of international humanitarian law."
The ICC will choose to ignore the reality of this groundbreaking claim, at it's own peril, because any complaint that is ignored by the ICC, does not prevent people all around Europe (for example) working to URGENTLY progress the claim etc, in courts, everywhere.
The two most important legal principles of a) universal jurisdiction and b) precedents, like Nuremberg are active.
The Palestinian government have also confirmed to the U.N. what the U.N are concealing.
Obviously the ICC will want to dismiss the Palestinian complaint to the ICC, with weasel words. However their unique series of problems include:
a) it is happening right now, and b) the U.N. have even been forced to admit war crimes, need investigating, and now the complaint is lodged at the ICC, c) European people (for example) can help progress it through any number of courts, using i) universal jurisdiction and with ii) focused requests for arrest warrants, for Israeli politicians and members of the Israeli military traveling within Europe.
Most people will seriously doubt the Turkish PM who is a two faced, closet Zionist, who is not part of the already existing Palestinian complaint, is going to be doing anything, beyond talking the talk, for 'votes' etc.
In practice, the Turkish government has very good 'relations' with Israel, with their continuing war on the Syrian people.
As the Palestinian death toll in the 19-day-long conflict topped 1,000, diplomatic efforts to forge a longer ceasefire continued in Paris. Foreign ministers from seven nations – the US, France, Britain, Italy, Germany, Turkey and Qatar – called for an extension of Saturday's 12-hour humanitarian truce.
There were no envoys from Israel, Egypt or the Palestinian Authority.
"All of us call on the parties to extend the humanitarian ceasefire that is currently under way," the French foreign minister, Laurent Fabius, said.
Clearly all these 'foreign ministers' and the 'Guardian' know full well, that a complaint has now been filed at the ICC in the Hague.
'Fox News' are similarly keeping quiet, while still spinning their trial by corporate media, with this:
Hamas decided to launch a campaign of indiscriminate rocket attacks against civilians, despite having just joined the Hague governing the laws of war (which prohibit such attacks), U.N. treaties respecting the rights of children and other non-combattants, the convention on the prevention and punishment of genocide, not to mention the Geneva conventions which give primacy to the peaceful resolution of conflicts.
15.07.2014: The threat to leave Gaza or be murdered.